Mobile menu
Attractions
Attractions

Colonial

Henricus Historical Park

Henricus Historical Park

Second oldest English settlement and home to Pocahontas. Site of the Civil War’s Dutch Gap Canal.

Prince George County Regional Heritage Center

Prince George County Regional Heritage Center

The artifacts and exhibits in the Prince George County Regional Heritage Center tell the story of the county from its earliest beginnings to the present day.

Weston Plantation

Weston Plantation

Built in 1789 by William and Christian Eppes Gilliam, it is notable for retaining much of its original interior.

Mid-Lothian Mines

Mid-Lothian Mines

The first commercially mined coal in America came from Midlothian, where it was discovered near the French Huguenot settlement on the James River about 1701.

Falling Creek Ironworks Park

Falling Creek Ironworks Park

This park is the site of the first ironworks in the New World. The close proximity of raw iron ore, wood for fuel and power provided by the falling water made the Falling Creek site perfect for this development.

Peter Jones Trading Station

Peter Jones Trading Station

Estimated to have been built between 1650 and 1750 it served as a trading station. During the Civil War, the building served alternately as a prison and a hospital.

Chesterfield County Museum & Old Jail

Chesterfield County Museum & Old Jail

The Chesterfield County Museum is the place to begin your journey through the county’s rich history. Built as a replica of the county’s 1750 courthouse, the museum is located directly behind the historic 1917 courthouse.

Magnolia Grange

Magnolia Grange

Noted for its distinctive architecture, Magnolia Grange contains elaborate ceiling medallions as well as sophisticated carvings on mantels, doorways, and window enframements.

Eppington

Eppington

Eppington Plantation, built around 1770, was the home of Francis Eppes VI, who married the half-sister of Thomas Jefferson’s wife. Jefferson admired the Chesterfield County plantation on the Appomattox River and visited often.

Battersea

Battersea

Built in 1768 on the banks of the Appomattox River for Colonel John Banister, Petersburg’s first mayor, Revolutionary War Patriot and framer of the Articles of Confederation, Battersea is an important colonial urban villa.

Old Brick House

Old Brick House

Built in 1685 by Richard Kennon, an English gentleman, it is considered the oldest brick house in the region, and thought by some to be the oldest in Virginia.

Upper Brandon

Upper Brandon

Upper Brandon plantation was part of an original land patent known as Brandon, granted to Captain John Martin, one of the founders of Jamestown.

The Best PART of Virginia