Love Our Attractions
Second oldest English settlement and home to Pocahontas. Site of the Civil War’s Dutch Gap Canal.
Spend the day at Pamplin Historical Park & The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier and journey back to the 19th century.
Built in the late 1870s, this unique, octagonal building was constructed on a site that had been given to the city in 1806 by the Bolling family. The land had long been used as a market and in fact the current building is only the most recent of four that were built on the site, the earliest dating back to 1787.
City Point (today’s Hopewell) served as General Ulysses S. Grant’s headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg. Seven hospitals there administered most of the care for the injured and mortally wounded.
It is one of the few churches whose decorative stained-glass windows were completely executed under the direction of the famous designer Louis Comfort Tiffany of New York.
For several years on the evening of January 24, residents of Centre Hill heard what they believed to be ghosts of Civil War soldiers marching up and down the home’s staircase. A popular ghost watch is held annually on that date.
The Chesterfield County Museum is the place to begin your journey through the county’s rich history. Built as a replica of the county’s 1750 courthouse, the museum is located directly behind the historic 1917 courthouse.
Eppington Plantation, built around 1770, was the home of Francis Eppes VI, who married the half-sister of Thomas Jefferson’s wife. Jefferson admired the Chesterfield County plantation on the Appomattox River and visited often.
This park is the site of the first ironworks in the New World. The close proximity of raw iron ore, wood for fuel and power provided by the falling water made the Falling Creek site perfect for this development.
Noted for its distinctive architecture, Magnolia Grange contains elaborate ceiling medallions as well as sophisticated carvings on mantels, doorways, and window enframements.
The first commercially mined coal in America came from Midlothian, where it was discovered near the French Huguenot settlement on the James River about 1701.
The Thomson family offers a warm smile and vast knowledge to visitors who come to their 42-acre farm in western Dinwiddie County.
Estimated to have been built between 1650 and 1750 it served as a trading station. During the Civil War, the building served alternately as a prison and a hospital.
Built in 1789 by William and Christian Eppes Gilliam, it is notable for retaining much of its original interior.
The Petersburg Courthouse, also known as Hustings Courthouse, was built between 1837 and 1839. It served as Confederate headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg.
The artifacts and exhibits in the Prince George County Regional Heritage Center tell the story of the county from its earliest beginnings to the present day.
The museum interprets the period from 1815 to 1873 and displays a wide array of Civil War era artifacts: guns, furniture, glass, ceramics, textiles, accouterments, books, swords and others.
Come take a walk through Lincoln's Final Footsteps. This self-guided tour chronicles Lincoln's historic time in the region.
The Petersburg Area has an extraordinarily rich African-American Heritage that dates from the earliest English settlers in the 1600s to the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.
Built in 1768 on the banks of the Appomattox River for Colonel John Banister, Petersburg’s first mayor, Revolutionary War Patriot and framer of the Articles of Confederation, Battersea is an important colonial urban villa.
In May of 1864, General Benjamin F. Butler landed 40,000 troops on the Bermuda Hundred peninsula in Chesterfield County. His goal was to set up a base of operations and then advance toward Richmond and Petersburg. Battles fought in Chesterfield during May and early June of 1864 prevented Butler from reaching his goal, and ultimately pushed his troops back into their defensive positions in Bermuda Hundred, where they would remain for the rest of the war.
City Point, the oldest part of Hopewell, was founded in 1613 by Sir Thomas Dale for the Virginia Company.
One of the oldest bank buildings in the United States, the Farmers Bank of Petersburg was built in 1817.
Fork Inn is a restored 14-room tavern built in 1803. It served as a stagecoach stop and was used as a hospital following one of the last Civil War battles.
Fort Clifton was a Confederate stronghold on the Appomattox River, serving as an important link in the line that defended Richmond and Petersburg in 1864 and 1865.
Built in 1851, the Dinwiddie County Courthouse was the headquarters of Union General Philip H. Sheridan during the Battle of Dinwiddie and the Battle of Five Forks.
Older than the County itself, Merchants Hope dates back to early colonial days when the parish was established (circa 1657).
Built in 1685 by Richard Kennon, an English gentleman, it is considered the oldest brick house in the region, and thought by some to be the oldest in Virginia.
Almost one quarter of the entire Civil War was fought around Petersburg as Generals Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant wrestled for control of the railroads and supply lines that the Confederacy desperately needed for survival.
This depot served the South Side Railroad line, the last railroad left operating during the Siege of Petersburg.
The building was originally built in 1887 as a chapel for Catholic sailors in the area.
Shortly before the beginning of operation Desert Storm in 1991, a television reporter asked a retired Army general to speculate on the tactics that would be used to drive Saddam Hussein’s forces from Kuwait.
The U.S. Army Women’s Museum honors women’s contributions to the Army from the Revolutionary War to the present, telling their stories with artifacts, interactive exhibits, educational programs, videos, dioramas, historical displays and photographs throughout the galleries, and with film presentations in the theater.
Upper Brandon plantation was part of an original land patent known as Brandon, granted to Captain John Martin, one of the founders of Jamestown.
Tucked back in the scenic heartland of rural Dinwiddie County is a quaint, old-style berry farm: Adams Acres. At this “pick-your-own” farm market, visitors are invited to go out in the fields and pick produce to their heart’s content.
A family-owned working farm, Chesterfield Berry Farm offers visitors a chance to pick their own strawberries from mid-April through May, blackberries mid-June through July, and pumpkins from mid-September through October.
Keystone is home to 170 restored antique tractors, including ten different John Deere models that less than 200 each were built.
Places like Poplar Grove National Cemetery reflect the tragedy that befell the United States during the Civil War. Each simple headstone is a poignant reminder of the human cost of war.
The Five Forks Battlefield Unit of Petersburg National Battlefield is where the last major battle of the Siege of Petersburg was fought.
Four generations are operating a beautiful 800-acre dairy farm in western Dinwiddie County that has been operating since the mid-1700s.
This farm is “a way of life”, working with nature instead of against it. No chemicals are used; fertilizer comes from the plants themselves.