Mobile menu
Historic Dinwiddie County Courthouse
Attractions > Colonial

Historic Dinwiddie County Courthouse

  • Slide 1
  • Slide 2
  • Slide 3
  • Slide 4
  • Slide 5
  • Slide 6
  • Slide 1
  • Slide 2
  • Slide 3
  • Slide 4
  • Slide 5
  • Slide 6

Built in 1851, the Dinwiddie County Courthouse was the headquarters of Union General Philip H. Sheridan during the Battle of Dinwiddie and the Battle of Five Forks. The Union’s victory at Five Forks, lead to the 
capture of Lee’s last 
railroad supply line 
into Petersburg 
and the eventual
 fall of the city.

The adjacent
 Calvary Episcopal
 Church was used
 as a hospital by 
the First Maine
 Cavalry. Markers 
commemorate
 battles fought
 in the County and ten unknown Union soldiers buried in the churchyard.

Dinwiddie County was the birthplace of Elizabeth (Burwell) Hobbs Keckly who worked for Mrs. Jefferson Davis and later Mrs. Lincoln as a free black dressmaker.

The Courthouse was active through 1998 and now serves as the home to the Dinwiddie County Historical Society’s museum.

The Best PART of Virginia