City Point Early History Museum
The building was originally built in 1887 as a chapel for Catholic sailors in the area. In 1981, then a private home, the building was deeded to the Historic Hopewell Foundation. It was restored and opened to the public in 1995.
The City Point Early History Museum is currently located in the building and the featured exhibit is “Seeking Freedom Where the Two Rivers Meet: The Contrabands and City Point.” Contraband was the term used for slaves who escaped to freedom either behind Union Army lines or to the north during the Civil War. African American families arrived at City Point seeking freedom with the arrival of the Union army in 1864. Here many found employment in the Union war effort and some went on to become soldiers in the Union army.