Upper Brandon plantation was part of an original land patent known as Brandon, granted to Captain John Martin, one of the founders of Jamestown. The property was purchased by Benjamin Harrison II of Wakefield in 1712. In 1807 the 7,000 acre property was divided between the suns of Benjamin Harrison III, with William Byrd Harrison inheriting the 3,555 acres that became Upper Brandon. He built the manor house in 1825 and developed the farm into a "model of modern agricultural management." It remained in the Harrison family until 1948.
The farming methods have become a model for blending the best agricultural and wildlife management practices. In addition to the farm, Upper Brandon features meeting spaces and hosts events including corporate conferences, outings and weddings. Bike riding, hiking, and fishing are also available.